Otis Hong Kong Celebrates 15th Consecutive Caring Company Aw
- Otis garners the Caring Company Award from the Hong Kong Council of Social Service for the 15th consecutive year.
- Otis' belief in volunteerism has been well exemplified through the years by serving seniors and underprivileged families. Amid COVID-19 pandemic, joint activities with Haven of Hope Christian Service resulted in distribution of more than 500 care kits to solitary elderly.
- Otis Hong Kong proactively engages in STEM education to nurture the potential of children.
HONG KONG, Aug. 14, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Otis Elevator Company, Hong Kong, recently celebrated receiving its 15th consecutive Caring Company Award by the Hong Kong Council of Social Service. The award recognizes the company's commitment of serving senior citizens and underprivileged families in the past 15 years. Otis Worldwide Corporation (NYSE: OTIS) is the world's leading elevator and escalator manufacturing, installation and service company.
"I am heartened to witness the achievements of our volunteer team. Their act of giving back not only brought them closer together, but exemplify Otis' beliefs in good corporate citizenship. They are role models and inspire others to join them in their cause of giving and serving," said Joseph Armas, managing director of Otis Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. "This year's award recognition is a testament to our strong community spirit as we face the COVID-19 pandemic together."
Since 2005, Otis' Hong Kong volunteer team has made significant contributions to the community. Its members have partnered with various local NGOs to organize over 60 initiatives that positively impacted the lives of over 3,000 seniors and children in need. Below are some of their achievements.
Caring for the solitary elderly
- With the motto "We Love We Care", the team has offered valuable assistance and companionship to seniors living alone. Field professionals who volunteered also provided their professional skills such as basic repairs and maintenance. All team members paid frequent home visits and organized festive events for the seniors.
Creating a foundation for STEM education
- Otis Hong Kong volunteers are also focused on nurturing the potential of children and youth. Since 2010, Otis has offered "The Little Engineer" program where experienced employees work with non-profit organizations and local colleges to share technical knowledge and mentor students. The volunteers will also create STEM education libraries at schools to expand STEM related information.
Supporting healthcare efforts
- A series of a joint activities were organized with Haven of Hope Christian Service (HOHCS) to distribute over 500 care kits to the solitary elderly. Each kit contained surgical masks, sanitizing products and wellness products that can help the seniors manage their well-being during the COVID-19 pandemic.
"My sincere thanks to the leadership team and all committees of the volunteer team for their full support to our service events throughout the years. We would not have successfully realized our initiatives without everyone's contributions," said Lau Wang Chi, senior supervisor of Service function, Otis Hong Kong, who also serves as leader of the volunteer team. "We look forward to continuing to serve the community with love and care and welcome everyone to join us in our journey."
Built on a legacy of innovation, Otis was founded in 1853 after Elisha Otis invented the elevator safety brake, giving rise to the modern city, transforming how people live and work, and revolutionizing architecture itself. Today, we are the world's leading company for elevator and escalator manufacturing, installation and service. We move 2 billion people a day and maintain more than 2 million customer units worldwide, the industry's largest maintenance portfolio. We can be found in many of the world's most recognizable buildings, as well as the busiest transportation hubs and retail centers – we are everywhere people are on the move. Headquartered in Connecticut, USA, Otis is 69,000 people strong, including 40,000 field professionals, all committed to meeting the diverse needs of our customers and passengers in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. To learn more, visit www.otis.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter @OtisElevatorCo.
SOURCE Otis Elevator Company Limited